Monday 12 May 2014

Dif Juz - No Motion


Dif Juz - No Motion (Lonely Is An Eyesore - 4AD, 1987). I’m a massive fan of 4AD - it’s my favourite record label. In my teens I became gradually intoxicated by their exceptional roster of bands and their strong aesthetic - the marrying of Vaughan Oliver’s uncompromisingly brilliant sleeve designs with the stellar music helped create a unique identity for the label - one that absorbed me. I’m an avid vinyl collector, especially when it comes to 4AD - my shelves are brimming with original pressings by the likes of Pixies, Breeders, Throwing Muses as well as the majority of the Cocteau Twins EP’s, which I adore.


Dif Juz are a 4AD band that escaped my ears for far too long. I first encountered their instrumental track No Motion by way of the 4AD compilation Lonely Is An Eyesore - I immediately loved it. The talented musicianship, heady swell of dynamics, tasty sounding guitars ricocheting around the speakers - the overwhelming sense of atmosphere and romance packed into a few wonderful, fleeting minutes of sound. It’s like a firework display, like sex - so damn good you won’t be able to think about anything else while it’s happening. A daring instrumental ride, well ahead of its time - it always fills me with wonder and speaks to me more than a thousand words ever could.



Follow me on Tumblr - theglitterofthelights.tumblr.com


No comments:

Post a Comment